The Cluster’s global research focus on manuscripts and other written artefacts brings together researchers from all over the world. Hence the Cluster’s vision of equal opportunity is essentially informed by its international orientation and diversity. As part of our equal opportunity strategy, we focus on aspects of diversity and gender equality, including supporting measures for the compatibility of family and career. Accordingly, the Cluster actively supports research and working conditions that allow scholars to achieve their full academic potential. At the Cluster, the divisions of “Early Career” and “Equal Opportunity” cooperate closely.
Johanna Seibert, M.A.
Coordinator Equal Opportunity
Tel.: +40 42838-9757
Office hour: Tue 10-11am
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Sabine Kienitz
Officer Equal Opportunity
Family, Care, and Career
The Cluster fosters family-friendly working and research conditions that enable Cluster members to effectively balance career and family life. Therefore, we proactively support researchers with family responsibilities (e.g. parenting, care-taking of parents and other family members). The set of concrete supportive measures we offer includes:
- Support of emergency child care
- Student assistant hours for parents and members doing care work
- Support for researchers participating in external conferences when traveling with children (e.g. through taking over travel expenses for an accompanying person)
- Child care at Cluster events in the evening or during the weekend
- Info kits for new parents
The Cluster is committed to “The Research-Oriented Standards on Gender Equality” of the German Research Foundation (DFG) and pursues the goal of equal representation and participation of men and women in all academic phases. The Cluster’s measures are thus targeted at promoting the career development of female researchers in particular by implementing a mentoring program for female postdocs.
Over the one-year mentoring phase, mentees benefit and receive critical input from:
- Consulting sessions with their personal mentor
- Workshops reflecting on the mentoring process
- Networking events